Friday, April 30, 2010

Baby A's Birth Story

Let me preface with saying this is (once again) a long birth story. I just can't help myself!

Read at your leisure and peril (may contain TMI).

The Birth

At 12:01 am, Friday, April 23rd (2010), I woke up to Baby R creeping into my room. I decided to make a bathroom trip and then put him back in his bed (thank you Supernanny!). As I sat down, I felt a pop and I immediately knew my water was broken.

My first thought was, "Damn you [insert ST's name]!" My ST was in Chicago last week for training/business trip. We'd talked about the possibility of me going into labor and how we (meaning me!) would manage that.

As I'm trying to decide how to proceed, Baby R insists that I get up b/c he has to use the toilet. Um, okay...and you won't believe this, but I did relinquish the throne to my son. Please note that I did this under duress b/c I didn't want to clean up his mess :)

So, I managed to get dressed, call my ST, and send out a frantic text msg to all friends in the area. I figured if one of them could watch my kids I could drive myself to the hospital.

No one answered my call, so I decided to call a neighbor directly. She answered and said she and her husband would be over soon. Thanks V!

V watched my babies while her husband took me to the hospital. Keep in mind that Baby R was out of his mind at this point and kept saying, "No, Mommy! You can't leave until Daddy gets here!" Traumatic moment for all involved.

I got to the hospital, and by this time my contractions were about 3 mins apart. The OB on call, Dr. B, decided that we would go ahead with a c-section and not wait for my ST to arrive. She did however, allow me to put my cell on speakerphone so my ST could hear everything during the delivery. Alternately a good and bad idea!

As they wheeled me in to surgery, I peppered them with all the details of my first two births. I was scared shi*tless that the spinal wouldn't work. The ane and his assistant were very nice and everyone kept saying, "We won't cut you until we are sure you are numb. We promise!"

At one point, I think I became a true nutcase and screamed, "Please, I'm begging you. Just knock me out. I can't do this!" I laugh about this now, but at the time I was freaking out. I couldn't believe I was doing this alone and w/o my ST. Plus, I thought I'd have 4 more days until our scheduled c-section. WTF!

After they and I were assured that I was numb, the surgery began. It lasted much longer than my other two, and I will forever be appreciative to the nurse who held my hand and kept updating me with details of the surgery. She was great and later on I was able to tell her so.

When they pulled down the curtain and showed me BabyA, I was so excited. He was perfect! And he looked right at me.

They cleaned him up and brought him next to my head. He was a little fussy but immediately quieted as I spoke to him. This is a baby after my heart. My other two were definitely daddy's boys. This baby responds to my voice and touch and makes my heart melt.

He was 8 lbs 6 0z, and 20 3/4 inches long.

Eventually hubby had to get off the phone and they finished the surgery. One of the weirdest sounds you will hear in the operating room - the sound of the air-powered stapler used to close you up. See, I told you TMI.

My ST arrived @ 3:30AM, and was able to join me in the recovery room. We then moved to my hospital room and cuddled with our new baby. We also looked at each other and said, "Uh, what do we name him???"

On Sunday afternoon, Baby A and I were able to go home. However, before going home I told the doctor on-call and the nurses that my incision didn't look or feel right. It just looked completely different from my previous two. And I was in a lot more pain than before. They all assured me that this was normal. Ha!

Quick note to say that both boys immediately loved Baby A. They hugged and kissed him and wouldn't stop touching him. So thankful that my big boys are so loving!

Took Baby A to the hospital to have his bilirubin levels checked. They were a little high prior to checking out, so we were checking again.

I also made an appt with Dr. OB to get his opinion on my incision. He immediately ripped off the tape holding my incision together (staples were removed prior to leaving the hospital) and started poking around. He said my incision wasn't healing the way it should; I was healing from the outside-in vs. inside-out. Apparently, this is a big no-no and would never heal if I didn't take care of it. That means that every day for the next two weeks (or more) my ST needs to "dress" my incision...twice a day.

I cannot tell you how disturbing this is for me. I HATE IT!!!!!

Enough said on that.

Tuesday 5:30 PM
Received a phone call from the lab @ the hospital. Baby A's bili levels were at 19.5. He was considered high-risk at this point and we were told to get to the hospital immediately.

Baby R started crying. I think he was a little traumatized by everything and really just needed us to get back to our routine. Luckily, our friends from Chicago were there to watch the boys. They arrived the day of Baby A's birth and stepped in to save the day!

So, from Tuesday night until Thursday night we were in the hospital with Baby A. They put him under 4 phototherapy lights and over the course of those three days we were able to get his levels down to 10.4 before leaving the hospital.

We go back on Saturday to check his levels but everything should be good-to-go.

At this point, I'm just glad to be home. I hope this stupid incision heals soon, and I'm ready to be a family of five :)

Now...what do I make for dinner tonight?


  1. I'm so upset that Eric wasn't there!

    I swear Sarah...I'm not trying to freak you out but you have had the most traumatic births I have ever heard of!!! My goodness!

    That nurse totally blew you off when you felt something wasn't right with your incision...your instincts are always right!

    And...once again, I leave your blog more terrified of c-sections that I've ever been! :O)

  2. Oh, I also wanted to say that I love his first name. I've always liked that name! And it is even better for you guys because of the cool family history!

  3. Thanks for loving the name! We've gotten alot of mixed comments when we announced it. What is interesting is that many have said, "Oh, I love that name!" or "Hey, I know someone with that name." I love those responses :)

    Sorry about the c-section scares. Truly, I too feel like if something bad will will happen to me. I didn't even write about my reaction to a med they gave me after the birth. It made me feel as if my throat was closing and I couldn't catch my breath. It felt like it lasted for hours but my friend and Eric said it only lasted about 4 mins.

    Crazy times :)

    Hope all is well with you. Lots of love!!!!

  4. After I had Emma, they pumped me full of Zofran because I began vomiting. Well, that's pretty normal after giving birth but I guess they felt it needed to be stopped.

    That medication took away the first 12 hours of my life with my daughter which is the main reason I wanted to go med-free with Jameson. I will never get that time back with her. I was so looped out.

    I remember sitting on the toilet (for the upteenth time because they wouldn't take my IV fluids out UNTIL I didn't feel nauseated) trying to be but not being able to because I still had the damn epidural in me and couldn't use my muscles "down there" to get it out and crying and saying to the nurses who had to hold me steady: "I can't remember what my baby looks like...I forgot already!"

    Never again! They should have just let me puke!

  5. trying to pee, not be. I type too fast.

  6. Oh, Ann...I hate that for you. I've been drugged and loopy after each of my births as well. And it really detracts from those first moments.

    I was so proud of your birth story with Jameson! I kept re-reading it :)

  7. Awww....I love that! But, it also makes me think that I need to go back and edit it for typos! LOL!